Being the youngest makes us (me) a little thin-skinned about being treated like a baby. Yes, sometimes we regress and sometimes we can be spoiled little kids, not to mention somewhat lighter-hearted and flaky than Oldests and even Middles.
The issue is that I've always been WAAAAY younger than everyone in my family (of birth); not just a little younger, WAAAAY younger. And when I was 10, it was appropriate to treat me like a kid.
With four older sibs of my own I have done my best over the years to 'grow up' and be myself. I have also worked (mostly) for and with people older than me. Most of the time, I defer. Most of the time, I'm OK with being the younger/dumber one. Mostly I understand that "Oldests" and my elders may actually have some information about life that I haven't yet accrued.
I can't tell you how tired I am becoming of (some of) the older-than-me Boomers.
And I really. really. really. do. not. need. anymore people in my life who treat me like their kid sister. Cuz,
- I'm 45, thus patently NOT a kid [even if I cry too often for some peoples' comfort];
- None of my siblings are around here, and for good reason. [why do you think they are all far away? Hmmm, let's let that percolate for awhile, eh?];
- Even my sibs don't treat me like this (often) anymore [although I know someone who might disagree with this rather vehemently].
- I'm not an idiot.
- If I'm crying, it's not necessarily your fault, and I'm not doing it to upset you. Usually. huh I understand that there may have been a disagreement that preceded the crying, but, truly, it is not all about YOU. I'm aware of that. You can't "make me" cry. So stop assuming ... well, everything, frankly.
- When I'm being treated like a child, it's quite likely that my first response is going to be childish. I may snap at you. I may bark. That's my issue and I am trying to deal with it. I will almost always be the first to apologize for doing so, but jeez, just once in awhile would it kill you to go first?!
- Don't ignore me.
Don't talk over me.
Don't patronize me and/or be condescending.
Don't assume I can't handle the realities of life.
Don't keep secrets from me, and gossip around me without including me.
Don't tell me you were "just kidding" when you were being a bitch or a prick, because that is what precedes "Can't you take a joke??", at least in my head.
In short, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining (ty, Judge Judy).
- Examine your behavior once in awhile. You are NOT the Omphalos for anyone but your own beautiful self. Accept appropriate accolades gracefully but don't assume you 'deserve' them.
- For most of the world: I'm not your sister. Don't assume I need a big brother/big sister to get be through life. I don't. Really. I'm good. Go (the fuck) away already!
- Did I mention apologize first sometimes? Oh, yeah, I did.
Like Aretha, I'm just asking for a little respect.