The Mersey Bluff Lighthouse was established in 1889 and is built of bricks on a stone base. In 1910 the original kerosene lamp was converted to acetylene gas. The light was converted to DC electric operation in 1920 and demanned at the same time.It was connected to mains power in 1978. The lighthouse stands on top of the bluff to western side of the mouth of the Mersey River in Tasmania. The establishment of the lighthouse ended a history of wrecks in this area. It is unusual for an Australian lighthouse to have vertical stripes in it's day mark. Another unusual feature of this lightstation is that it was connected to town water in 1901.
(from the Lighthouses of Australia, Inc. site)