Monday, October 01, 2007

25 years ago today

It was a quarter-century ago today that my college roommate, whom I'd known about a month at that point, turned 18. I still immediately think of you whenever I hear "Please Come to Boston."

When you turned 19, I was sure we'd be friends forever. When you turned 20, I wasn't as sure, but the following October--in our senior year--we were back to being tight.

My oh my, how things change. What lessons I learned from you! I wonder, did you learn anything from me? Did my life change you the way yours changed mine?

Happy birthday, oh Woman of Helsinki! You had my back, and I didn't know in October of 1982 what a balm that would be. I've been thinking about you a lot today, hoping you are happy, hoping your kids and husband are healthy and thriving. Life is strange, isn't it?

No comments: