Friday, August 03, 2007

How addicted am I?

Very. VERY addicted to the laptop.

I noticed at the end of the previous post that I was nearly out of battery power. Odd, I thought I was plugged in. Actually, I was plugged in! WTF. Let the plug-wiggling commence, to no avail. I called Beast and apprised him of the situation, and of the fact that his son is a giant, neon-lit doofus-head (not related directly to the laptop issue, just a little chunk of trivia for fun).

Six weeks ago I had to run to Circuit City and purchase a replacement power cord for this machine. The original one had been closed in the recliner, or twisted, or stretched, one time too many and was no longer functional.

Tonight we took the replacement cord back--after Beast checked it with his magical electrical-current-checking tools and found that it was not sending current past the large battery-ish box. They let us exchange it for a (less-expensive) new one. The battery is now full again.

Unfortunately, this cord ALSO requires a great deal of wiggling to get it to work. In fact, the only position it actually completes the circuit and charges the computer battery is with something holding the cord in place on a flat surface. Ergo, I'm back to typing on battery power. Something is apparently wrong inside the plug itself.

Could it be that I've used the computer up??

In any case, it's going to mean a call to Geek Squad, or someplace similar, and a lot shorter bursts of 'creativity' (or work) from me.

This was quite annoying today, because using the desktop to access the stuff I had planned to do today for work just isn't feasible. It's too old and slow for the sites I intended to use. I simply click around too fast (I was told that by a tech about three years ago at work when my PC there kept freezing up).

As I told Beast: it's bad enough when the best-laid plans gang aft a-gley at work, but I expect my schedule to be more-or-less my own on my days away from work. It's been quite a frustrating week.

Tomorrow, I'm back at work. Beast has torn his car apart tonight in preparation for replacing all the brakes (not 'breaks'--though something has apparently broken, which accounts for the muttering 45 minutes ago...). That means he wants to take me to work tomorrow so he has a vehicle to drive in case he needs to make a run to the parts store.

Oh, and allergies? They've been better all week, till today. Today I spent the day in a room FILLED with dust: our office. I need to get out the environmental jumpsuit, face mask and ventilator and go in and CLEAN in there!!

No comments: