Sunday, May 21, 2006

Prejudice

I got to thinking this morning about stereotyping and prejudice.

The dictionary says "stereotype" means:
1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
Prejudice:
1.
a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
b. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.
3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
The sermon this morning began by talking about the "flock" of skateboarders that roost on our church's steps and use our railings, sidewalks, and steps to do their best flying.

It went on from there, but I went off in a different direction (oh, well). What are my prejudices? Oh, yeah, well, I'm a bleeding-heart liberal: I don't have any.

Right.

Of course I do. For instance, I know all there is to know about Republicans like Cheney and Bush. I know all there is to know about a lot of people, especially people I don't really like much. Or people I don't know very well.

So, here's a partial list of people I am aware of pre-judging:
  • the aforementioned Republicans
  • 14-year-olds, primarily boys, and giggly girls
  • religious weirdos (my definition)
  • people who read a lot of science fiction
  • lawyers
  • athletes, especially pros
  • women who wear a lot of makeup
  • people on welfare
  • rich people
  • alcoholics/gamblers/smokers
Now that I've insulted everyone....

...where are your prejudices?

No comments: