Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sunday Sunday Sunday!

I ended up asleep on one end of the couch last night, cocooned in pajamas, my fleece robe, a fleece throw and another fancier throw. That was after several hours of fraught half-sleep worrying, mostly about today's trip to the Big City. Beast was coughing a lot too, and while I was worrying about him, he wasn't what was keeping me awake. When I realized that it was 2:45 (not 5 or so, as I was expecting when I checked the clock), I got up and came downstairs and worked crosswords for an hour before my brain felt numb enough to stop worrying and try actual sleeping.

The trip, of course, was fine. We had an easy drive downtown--about 90 minutes--parked and walked a block to the big Presbyterian Church. Very HIGH Church it was too, with an extra added bonus of a Scottish minister (one of the three officiants). We were seriously underdressed. And the choir sang an entire cantata after the sermon. I thought Sparky was going to achieve brain-death before it ended. It was lovely.

Then we walked down the main shopping street a ways before we got icebound. We took an elevator up to the 94th floor observation deck to look out over the city. We walked around some more. We at lunch at a Johnny Rockets, which was deliciously greasy. Our seats faced the windows, looking directly at the sidewalk, so we spent the meal people-watching. Our conclusion was that people don't dress appropriately for the weather: the high today was 14 with a "hearty" breeze.

It took an hour of the drive home for my butt to de-ice after the four-block walk to the car! Ah, winter.

Once we got back home, there was a mad scramble of telephone tag between my niece and her in-laws about Christmas plans. Suddenly I'm hosting a "thing" next Sunday because we are sort of in the middle of everyone, and because everyone else has cats, to which I'm quite allergic. So that messes up our usual Christmas thing, and I have to call those people back--they called to invite us over for Christmas while this was all being settled. Too complicated!

Meanwhile, Beasty is getting sicker. Walking around outside today didn't do him any favors: he had a fever of 100 this afternoon awhile after we got home, and his feet are cold. His feet never get cold. I'm eating Vitamin C like candy hoping to avoid this. He went to bed at 8:20, walking out on a football game! Proof that he feels worse than lousy...or maybe proof that he's maturing?

I'm trying to decide if I should even bother to sleep in our room tonight or just crash in the spare room. If I do that, I have to move all the Christmas paper on the floor so I can get into bed. Or I can camp on the couch again....

But in spite of it all, this was a fun day, Sparky wasn't too obnoxious, and I'm very very tired in a good way.

This just in (my Gmailbox): not incorporable try crocus be puddle or codicil it inexpert in eye some contrariety the mali it's echo it embeddable be checkbook may oliver in tribute a pappy Or maybe not
Which makes about as much sense as anything else here, I suspect.

No comments: