Thursday, September 30, 2004

Overheard last night

Older Woman: Hi.
40ish Man: Hello.
[some general chitchat for about a minute at most]
Woman: So, when are you going on a diet?
Man: [extended pause] Excuse me, I don't think I heard you right.
Woman: [not missing a beat] I asked when you were going on a diet.

I didn't hear his answer. About fifteen minutes later, she is talking to the wife of the man:
Woman: Your husband has put on some weight. When is he going to go on a diet?
Wife: [gapes for a minute] Uh, well, since we almost never eat at home, I never cook, {continues on in the vein of beating herself up, in full defensive position, for a minute or so...}

Other women jump in and redirect the conversation.
Even my tactless, clueless family isn't this bad. Which is just about the only positive spin I can think of to put on the whole thing. I have to give points to the guy for doing exactly what Miss Manners would have said to do: "Excuse me; I must have heard you wrong." Too bad his wife didn't do the same thing...
Some people are absolutely amazing.

UPDATE
Further information : Original woman is in no way related to this man. Hmmm. I thought it was the younger generation that was supposed to be so rude...

No comments: