Saturday, July 10, 2004

Sore feet, Relays, Housewarming-->TIRED

Mood: Whupped
Hair: Wet and clean

I'm going to bed as soon as I blog. This is my reward for being a good adult today...

Up at 5 to check the Dolphin hotline. Yep, the meet is still on. So I dress and wake up Sparky who somehow gets his swim trunks on the right way with his eyes half-open.

We're on our way to the grocery store for Krispy Kremes and grapes [for breakfast] and then to the pool by 5:45. I help set up the food-for-volunteers tent. In the mist. The grass areas are waterlogged, slippery and muddy. Whee. It could be a fun day!

Call The Beast at 7--and wake him up--to tell him that Sparky races early: Event 6. So he needs to get crackin'.

I head to the Bullpen at 7:30 for my 3-hour shift. Pay attention: that's important. After a slightly rocky start, we moms get ourselves sorted out. It's a little rougher than normal because all the events are relays, which means 3-4 kids per lane instead of just one. Chaos reigns when the 6-11 age groups are around. Although, honestly? The 12-14s aren't a lot better.

At 10:20 I go watch Sparky's race and discover that the "3-hour shift" was actually taken as a commitment to do the whole meet. I'm too flabbergasted to speak. Well, no actually, I think I did say, "Well, that's just totally not very honest or fair." But since I was really enjoying myself, I dutifully went back to work. With the other 5 moms who were doing the same thing...

Anyway. Sparky raced at 8:15, 10:20 and 12:15. His team did NOT COME IN LAST ONCE! They also didn't come in first, or anywhere in the top three in any race. But he did ok. I guess. :-)

I was on my feet from 5:45 until about 12:30 straight. I have a not-too-bad burn on the tops of my shoulders and collarbone area, and a tan-line (faint though it may be for anyone without milky white skin!) on my feet. Hurrah.

Came home, ate something. I literally crashed out for two hours while the boys finished spreading the mulch that was delivered yesterday. Then we went to our friends' housewarming party. Home by 7:30, where we realized that the VCR was recording the wrong channel for The Amazing Race. So we only caught the last half. Rats.

My. Feet. Hurt. I'm tired. Good night.

No comments: