Monday, March 01, 2004

Random thinking

In the course of updating my book-blog, a couple of things gelled in my head. I have finished a book by Francine Prose called "After."

One of thoughts that's been banging around the back of my head is about the video of the little girl being abducted in Florida....WHY was there a security camera there? Has anyone explained that? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they caught that creep, but what ELSE is being filmed every day...? It just makes me wonder how often we are filmed going about our daily lives, unaware that Someone is watching. And I DON'T mean God...that doesn't make me paranoid. Although maybe it should.

Veering off tangentially, I wonder why I'm so much more worried about being caught on film by people than by the idea that God knows not only what I DO, but what I'm thinking. Including all the crap... [I actually think I understand this, but don't want to go off on a Reformed Theology, John Calvin-John Knox rant here. Maybe some other time.]

OK, anyway, along with the book and the videotape is the third piece of this "Boing" moment: The Beast put a Books-on-Tape box out in our mailbox to be returned to the company in exchange for his newly ordered tapes. The mailman wouldn't take it on Saturday. Instead he left the following note, on and official U.S. Postal Service Routing Slip: "Sorry, you must bring packages at this weight to the post office, as a wartime security measure. --Mark 2/28/04" [italics mine]

The box is NOT sealed. The outside is pre-printed with the Books on Tape mailing info with our name in the 'returned by' area. It clearly states that there are 12 tapes in the box--when you open it...voila! 12 tapes.

What is going on in this country?

No comments: