- Sparky and I have the same feet:
- I ran across this list of Soviet paraphrenalia that made me laugh.
- According to this guy's unscientific survey, this photo is the most popular one on flickr...it's nice. At photo.net, this is the most popular. It's only nice if you aren't a fish.
- Wasting time here. Lots of time. Oy.
- My best college friend's brother died a couple of weeks ago, suddenly and unexpectedly. I'm having a sort of flashback to about 14 years ago based on the fact that her dad died in February. And they were both wonderful people.
- Here's the two furry boys:
- A high-school boy was hit by a car while crossing the street to get on his school bus last week about three blocks from our house. He was helicoptered to the hospital and recovering fairly well. Over the weekend, another high school boy in the next town over hanged himself in a public area. I'm not sure why these two incidents have hit me so hard, except for the age and nearness.
- WTF? Just, really: WHATtheFUCK?!! What are we doing to our children?!
- I've spent the afternoon writing up the semi-final version of Sunday's order of worship, and the stats we'll be using after the skit:
One in 20 [our] County['s] babies is born to a teenage mom.Now I need to make posters with those stats on them.
In 2002, one-third of teens nationwide had not received any formal instruction about contraception, but about 60 percent of women and more than 50 percent of men have had sexual intercourse by their 18th birthday.
More than $2 billion a year is spent on advertising specifically aimed at kids. The 39 million teens in the U.S. spend $158 billion per year.
Approximately 7.2 million underage youth aged 12 to 20 (19 percent) were binge drinkers. Binge drinking is defined as five or more drinks on the same occasion at least 1 day in the 30 days prior to the survey.
More than half of teenaged girls are, or think they should be, on diets. They want to lose all or some of the forty pounds that females naturally gain between 8 and 14.
Teen suicide was the 3rd leading cause of death among young adults and adolescents 15 to 24 years of age, following unintentional injuries and homicide. The gender ratio for teenage group was 5:1 (males: females).
There are an estimated 8-25 attempted suicides for each teen suicide death. Four out of five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warnings.
Almost 16 million teens have witnessed some form of violent assault.
- Amy forwarded this game to me. Mindless fun.
- Where we went on a pilgrimage about a week ago:
Monday, April 07, 2008
Here's what's been going on 'round here: