Thursday, March 01, 2007

Not hallucinating

I've removed (well, it's still here, just in my 'drafts' folder) a post I had up this week about an incident at work. If you saw it, great. If you didn't you'll now be thoroughly confused.

Here's the thing: the local paper got hold of the story and published a short article this morning. This local paper has some sort of agreement with one of the television channels out of the Giant-City-Nearby so the same article has also appeared on the TV channel's website (and possibly their broadcasts).

I found both of these news blurbs while skimming around my RSS feeds this morning and logged onto my work email to pass it along. My next step was to take the post down from my blog, but before I did that I found a note from the staff member I'd just written to. Here is part of the note (she was apparently the one who talked to our out-of-town director):
We do not know what angle the reporter is going give to the article..... Officially and unofficially we cannot comment about the incident...[the city manager] says to refer inquiries about the matter to the police department because it is a police matter.

...Do not talk about the Monday incident; simply state that it is being handled by the police. You cannot say [anything to the public].

Please do not make light of the incident.

...Please have the video camera monitors pulled up on all staff desks....
Quite obviously, there are a million reasons why the original post needed to be removed. No one at work reads my blog, and I don't want to get subpoenaed or otherwise 'found out'. Anonymity is good.

Ahh, the realities of the world have hit my corner of Blogville. Damn.

No comments: