Saturday, March 04, 2006

In my inbox

I got up this morning and checked my gmail account. I found a note from Amy--that's all it said in the short list. When I opened it I had a moment of "Wha...?"; not from that Amy. It amused me, so I've copied it here, removing other identifying information:
Hello there
So i'm sure you get obnoxious emails all of the time concerning your blog. So here I am in the middle of the night and I am wondering what the heck the [A.] family tree had to do with the list.

Maybe my brain is a little slow this time in the morning, but I didn't get the typo thing. Did you mispell the last name, or are you referring to the 'R&R' reference our last name usually gets. If the latter is the case than whats with the [A.] in a hurry!

Help I don't get it. I feel like I need to since it's my last name and all I wanna know the joke. Besides which, how do u know that last name? Could u be an [A.] too? I swear I'm smart (I'm in grad school!) I just don't get the joke, or was it a joke?

So anyways if u could possibly find the time to respond it would be greatly appreciated. It's just one of those things that will bug me if I don't find out soon.
Thanks, and have a great week!
Here's my edited response:
Good morning, Amy.

Here's the thing: I did a blog post in which I misspelled "are" really badly [link omitted]. I never went and fixed it. Later on, someone searched "[A.] family tree" (without the quotes) and found my blog because I had done a separate post about my family in which I used the words "family tree." [link omitted] Google/Yahoo/whatever don't do a fabulous job of sorting out hits when searchers don't use quotes. I should have linked to the original ... entry when I referenced it.

So, yeah, it was a joke, but only on my lack of attention to detail (like spell check!). To the best of my knowledge, there are no [A.]s in my family. I could be wrong; my dad always said we might be surprised at what we'd find if we shook his side of the family tree too hard! ;-)

Sorry to send you down a wrong genealogical path. Do you know about Ancestry.com? It's a great reference site for doing family searches. A lot of libraries subscribe to it and if you have a card you can access it through the library's website. (Doing my part to plug the libraries of America!)

Good luck with your grad. work.
Everything is on the Internet. Forever. In very strange permutations. But this is the first specific email I've gotten from my blog about content from a non-reader. And it's kind of fun.

No comments: