Wednesday, May 18, 2005

To-Do List

I've been compiling this list for a couple of weeks now, based on Phil Keoghan's book. It's a very rough draft at this point, and probably not finished, but I'm going to start entering it here as a way to make myself accountable somehow.

Phil divides "opportunities" into eight types, so I will try to put my items into his types:
FACE YOUR FEAR
Parachute out of a plane
Learn to swim
Learn to fire a gun properly
Learn to relax
GET LOST
Live in a foreign (to me) country
RV around the country with no plan
TEST YOUR LIMITS
Take some courses at McCormick
Walk, every day
Organize church library
Ride a horse
Fly a plane
Ride in a helicopter
TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH
Go on a personal retreat
Build a labyrinth
Start a business with The Beast
Stop eating sugar
REDISCOVER YOUR CHILDHOOD
Work with kids at church
Work a theatrical production
Piano and flute lessons
Mentor with the school district
Buy a jumprope; use it
SHED YOUR INHIBITIONS / EXPRESS YOURSELF
Take a balloon ride, preferably over mountains
Learn to read Hebrew
Learn to read Greek
Get motorcycle license
Learn to create crosswords
BREAK NEW GROUND
Visit Kenya, Egypt, Amsterdam/Haarlem, Auschwitz, Laura sites
Learn to play golf
Friends over for dinner on a regular basis
AIM FOR THE HEART
Set up a family website
Bible Study with The Beast
Find a good-fitting volunteer job
Get back into Habitat for Humanity
Laugh Every Day
Don't Fit Anywhere Else
Go back to Italy, Greece, Russia
Catalog and cross reference all the books I've read
Finish scrapbooks
Catch up on reading "Christian classics"
Schedule annual "block" party
Buy only quality writing utensils that are fun to use
Finish The List
Live every day until I die
Compiling things this way made me realize that "getting lost" is not a big deal to me. I've done it (physically) so many times that it doesn't scare me in particular. Having been driven out of Jalisco by boys I'd never met while in Mexico, and living to tell about it...well, once you've done things like that several times, you get smarter about risks and less fearful about your capabilities. Which is the point, I guess.

Not surprisingly, there are an awful lot of organizational and reading things on this list. I guess I'll never die. I don't have time.

Also, please note: bungee jumping is not on the list. No interest. Give me a parachute any day!



So....now I just need to get started on this, right?

No comments: