Saturday, February 26, 2005

Words words words

Word of the day:

mulct \MULKTnoun:
A fine or penalty.
transitive verb:
1. To punish for an offense or misdemeanor by imposing a fine or demanding a forfeiture.
2. To obtain by fraud or deception.
3. To defraud; to swindle.
Quote(s) of the day:

It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that. -- G. H. Hardy

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. --Eric Hoffer

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. --Woody Allen

I have lost friends, some by death... others through sheer inability to cross the street. --Virginia Woolf
Mood: Good
Listening to: Best of Rick Nelson (currently "Travelin' Man")
Where am I? Work

Revisiting:
What word(s) are regularly mispronounced and it makes you crazy-nuts when you hear them?

Here's a longer list of mine:

  • Nuclear (far and away the winner). Carter, Reagan, Bush, Bush II...aaarghhhh. Thank God for one recent president who was literate! It in NOT NU'-CYUH-LUR, or even NU'-CUH-LUR!!!
  • Jewelry. Look at it. It is NOT JEW'-LUR-EE!
  • Realtor. Depending on how fussy you are: reel'-tor, or reel'-tur, NOT REEL'-UH-TUR!
  • Mischievous. It's mis'-chuhv-us. Not MIS-CHEEV'-EE-US. (This is one I had to learn as a teen; my whole family said it wrong!)
  • Library. Yes, of course. My mother beat this into me. "There are two Rs; pronounce them both."
  • EspaƱol--Sigh. I work with morons. This is easy: es-pah-nyol'. NOT EES-PAAA'-NOL, EES'-PAAAA-NOL, ES-PAAAAA'-NEE-OL--with the second syllable pronounced like a sheep--or any of the other variants I hear regularly around here.
("Hello Mary Lou")
Now that I've vented, I have to admit that I didn't include some others that kink my neck because I think they are dialect, or idiomatic, or regional, or something:

"oil"
"iron"
"wash"
"milk"
"coupon"
"th" words that end with
an "f" sound (e.g. "tooF")
"th" words that suddenly have "d" sounds (e.g.
"Da Bears," "goin' to Duh show")
"cool"
"tea"
words ending in vowels
that have an "r" attached (e.g. "ideaR")
"talk" (and "walk," etc.)
"tour"
I know there are others; these came to mind in rapid-fire.

("Garden Party")

[By the way, the blogging class went fine. Or, rather, it was good until one woman asked who has time to do all this? Don't bloggers have anything else to do? Shades of Michael Gorman....]

No comments: