Thursday, November 04, 2004

Thursday

Mood: OK
Hair: Blown out
Snappy Comeback NOT to be used today: Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial. [Unless you voted for Bush.]

From Library Stuff yesterday.

I expected church last night to be....difficult. It was strangely subdued and even somewhat mournful, although very little was said overtly about the election except in quiet one-on-one convos. There were little sparks of "oh shit" level comments from people I believed were party-line Republicans. I left feeling somewhat buoyed.

Not all Christians are psycho Bush cranks. In fact, I'd even say that most of the mainline Protestant church members are a lot more reasonable (in my opinion) in this election than the majority of non-denominational folks. I said to one Demmy friend last night, "How can we get that fact out into the public sector? That you can be a Christian and a Democrat, gasp!" Then I remembered that in the 60s/70s that wasn't unusual at all--manymany of the civil rights church groups were on the social action/Democrat tickets. What the hell happened...? Don't answer that, I know: Jerry Falwell, The (IM-)Moral (MINO-)Majority, Ronald Reagan, Pat Robertson and Operation Rescue happened.

But. We shall overcome.

No comments: