Wednesday, November 03, 2004

ENOUGH

Mood: Feisty
Hair: Barette

I'm going home tonight, after church, and having a bottle of wine (whine?).

Then tomorrow, assuming I can function with alcohol in my system, I'm going to DO SOMETHING.

No more feeling sad and sorry and panicky. That's silly--Bush only barely won this election, the Senate majority is only 55 (they need 60 to break a filibuster folks), the House is made up of monkeys most of the time anyway...we'll get through this.

It is probably not going to be pretty. Or fun. Or particularly friendly. But I'll be damned--quite literally, damned to hell--if I allow my nephew and, potentially, my son to be drafted off to fight a stupid war without laying myself out first. And I'll be damned if the scenarios of the doom-and-gloom crowd (you know who you are!) come to pass without one hell of a fight, from us, the 55,832,479-plus Americans who voted for Anyone-But-Bush.

Come on people: we survived Reagan, possibly the worst excuse for a leader in the past 25 years. We can make it four more years in Bushland. But it will take vigilance and a serious willingness to stand in the way when people start farting around with the Constitution. And they will. So we know and can fight back, remembering Martin Niemoller:

First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.
(1945)

Time to speak up, step up and for God's sake stop whinging and DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE/PROACTIVE/POSITIVE.

Now. Where's my wine?

No comments: