Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Wednesday

Mood: Pretty good
Hair: Clipped up and behaving for a change

Yeah, I haven't blogged here for a couple of days. It's been nuts both at home and at work, and I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. Two Little League games (a win and a slaughter-rule loss), another giant-ass cart full of books behind me. I'm tired to the bone by 6 p.m. most days.

"These are the happiest days of your life." I can hear my mother telling me this. She's probably right. I wish I could appreciate that fact.

Random thoughts:
    > Sparky had to serve an after-school detention yesterday for punching someone.
    > He also finally was told that his best friend is moving out of town.
    > His only other friend at school has been withdrawn and is finishing the year as a home-school student, because of the behavior of the rest of the kids in his class.
    > He actually swung the bat at his game last night. Not that he hit the ball...
    > He got a Presidential Award for Academic Achievement today. woot
    > Tomorrow night he gets his yearbook, at the end-of-the-year party at school.
    > I love him a lot.
The Beast is in Kansas City tonight and tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what to do with Sparky--who has been at work with me today since 11:15--when we leave. He needs to get some physical activity in. Besides shelving DVDs and videos for us, if that even counts....

A former page who has decided to get a MLS just stopped in; he'll be working some Reference hours this summer, along with 2 other jobs. He's a doll (although he'd shoot me for calling him that!).

I'm dreading calling our friends to find out about "Cody" tonight. Yesterday was 7 days; they should know by now if he's coming home anytime soon.

I'm going back into news-hibernation mode; I can't read the paper or even Newsweek. Everything makes me sick to my stomach. Think I'll sit on the porch tonight drinking wine and eating cheese and the hell with all the multitude of crap I really need to do. [That will last about 20 minutes till the screams of Guilt have deafened me and I have to get to work on SOMETHING!]

    Billy Joel--"Shades of Grey"
    Some things were perfectly clear, seen with the vision of youth
    No doubts and nothing to fear, I claimed the corner on truth
    These days it's harder to say I know what I'm fighting for
    My faith is falling away
    I'm not that sure anymore

    Shades of grey wherever I go
    The more I find out the less that I know
    Black and white is how it should be
    But shades of grey are the colors I see

    Once there were trenches and walls and one point of every view
    Fight 'til the other man falls
    Kill him before he kills you
    These days the edges are blurred, I'm old and tired of war
    I hear the other man's words
    I'm not that sure anymore

    Shades of grey are all that I find
    When I come to the enemy line
    Black and white was so easy for me
    But shades of grey are the colors I see

    Now with the wisdom of years I try to reason things out
    And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts [my emphasis]
    Save us all from arrogant men, and all the causes they're for
    I won't be righteous again
    I'm not that sure anymore

    Shades of grey wherever I go
    The more I find out the less that I know
    Ain't no rainbows shining on me
    Shades of grey are the colors I see
So yeah, I'm still here, just reduced. Like broth maybe?

No comments: