Monday, October 20, 2008

Word association

Mood: OK
Hair: Smoky-smelling
Eyes: Surprisingly ok
Listening to: Sparky trying to makes sense
On the sites that I have bookmarked for my "word of the day" there are certain trends and eddies where themes pop up over and over. For instance, Facebook has obviously hit the bigtime because there are dozens of newly-coined words relating to it. For instance:
Urban Word:
fakebook: Adding friends to facebook who you don't particularly like, socialize with or think you are friends with.

I want to meet some of these Fb people who have 300 friends because I want them to look me straight in the face and tell me they aren't fakebooking.
Urban Word:
deface: To remove a 'friendship' from facebook due to having either accidentily adding him/her as a friend or actually adding them and reconsidering later.

There is an etiquette here that I'm not sure about: how does one quietly deface a friend who is no longer?
Word Spy:
defriend: v. To remove a person from one's list of friends on a social networking site. Also: de-friend.

OK, guys, which is it going to be: deface or defriend? I think defriend may end up being the pc version of the unfriendly-sounding bar-only usage of deface.
Another area that gets a LOT of attention, naturally, is the whole relationship thing:
Urban Word:
kickback: a get-together consisting of close friends, partying and drinking.

I'm in dire need of a major kickback.
Urban Word:
flirtationship: When you regularly flirt with an acquaintance or friend but do no more.

There's nothing wrong with a flirtationship as long as everyone knows that that's all it is.
Urban Word:
ask me out boots: Much tamer than "Fuck me boots" because the heel is shorter and less spikey. It is merely an invitation to ask me out and see how it goes. While less sexy than FMB they are much sexier than "Ignore me boots".

I have always stood quite firmly in "ask me out boots", even before I knew what my footwear was telling other people..

Word Spy:
relationshippy: adj. Relating to something that is associated with or strongly reminiscent of a romantic relationship. Also: relationshipy.

I really hate it when people get all relationshippy in the wrong context.
And then there are the "green" words:
Word Spy:
precycling: pp. Purchasing products based on how recyclable they are.
I wish I really could get my head around the concept of precycling, but since I can't seem to remember to take the cloth bags into the store with me, I think I may, officially, be ecologically retarded.
Word Spy:
foodshed: n. The area from which a person or family can obtain locally grown food; the area from which a city or town gets its food supply.

I noticed a restaurant in a nearby town last weekend advertising meals created with ingredients only within our foodshed. Cool idea.
Word Spy:
eco-driving: pp. Driving in a way that minimizes fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.

The best thing about eco-driving is that it also makes your car last longer (in most cases) which means a lot more income to spend on things besides replacing dead vehicles.


All of which is to say, there's nothing in my life that is worth discussing right now.

No comments: