Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Poetry Month

Section V is called "The Music of Humanity"

Is Wisdom Such a Thing?
by Vachel Lindsay

Now let no man or woman, good or great,
Plan to divide me from my deepest dream
Won through blood and tears and watching years,
And stop the budding thoughts, the songs astream.

Let them not think it Wisdom, Friendship, Faith,
To lead the feet I kiss away from me,
To drive me from the cabin of my heart,
Or break me there, the while I bow the knee.

What is this Wisdom that will vaunt itself,
Stab at my ribs with cutting pride of mind,
With hot irons touch my eyes till they are blind?
Is Wisdom such a thing, and so designed?


I couldn't find this anywhere on the net, which is sort of odd since I kind of know it, especially that last line. It just sounds familiar. Did Mom (or Dad) used to quote it? I don't know.

No comments: