Thursday, March 31, 2005

List of rules

Word of the day: magniloquent \mag-NIL-uh-kwent\, adjective:
Lofty or grandiose in speech or expression; using a high-flown style of discourse; bombastic.
Quote(s) of the day: "Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering." --R. Buckminster Fuller
Mood: Good
Listening to: Blowers, but I'll have the 'phones on later; I'm at the Reference Desk at 10 for an hour
Where am I? Work

This is what we are reduced to--rules for our library (only partially completed):

Conduct that is never acceptable; staff always expected to intervene:
Fighting
Yelling
Running
Pushing
Feet on
furniture
Sitting on tables
Blocking walkways (sitting on floor, backpacks etc.)
Eating except on lower level
Skateboarding on library property
Beverages by computer
When [i.e. at what point] do you stop [patrons who are]:
Sleeping
In new book section
Snoring loudly
Rearranging furniture to make bed
Sleeping on the floor
Loud conversation
Decibels
Location
Length of conversation
Treat adults same as children
Giggling
when loud or continual
Study rooms
Conversation may not be heard
Computer games—behavior or number
More than one person at computers
Cell phone use
Sound leaks from headphones
Public display of affection
Talking in the Quiet Room
Playing cards or other games
Rolling cigarettes
Yeah, we are the library police. Thank goodness I work in the back--I'd have so much more to gripe about if I were out in Patron-Land!

No comments: