Saturday, August 14, 2004

Double-posting

I'm posting this in Sweet Memes and here, because I think this is a very clever idea. I discovered that it is very hard to come up with stories for this, ones that I don't think I've discussed in the blog in some form or another. And then to come up with "fantastic" stories that are plausible: even harder. But have fun.

Link: The Last Five Pages
Title: Obfuscation

How well can you get to know someone from reading their daily musings? Would readers, when asked to choose what’s real and what’s fake, be able to figure out the truth based on what they’ve gotten to know about you from your blog?

The Game: On Friday, August 13 you’ll post 3 stories:

Two false and one true or
Two true and one false
Readers have to pick the false story(ies), leaving their guess in the comments. (Make sure you let them know which version of the game you’re playing.)

On Monday, August 16 you’ll post the correct response.

[Except I'm giving everyone till 8/17 because I'm late posting this!]

OK?

So here are mine (by the way I'm splitting the difference: about one-and-a-half of the below stories is true, which gives people a better chance, eh?):

1. When I was twenty, one of the job possibilities I considered was long-haul truck driving. I love driving and thought there could be nothing cooler than doing it for a living. My downfall, and one of the main reasons I never pursued it, was the fact that I can't drive in reverse in a car, much less in a tractor-trailer. Still wish I could do this sometimes, though...

2. My brother and I came face to face with a young bear while hiking in the mountains. He was about thirteen, I was three-ish. He was supposed to be doing some surveying of a parcel of property for my dad. I was just along for the hike. So really, he had two jobs: carry the big stick so Dad could get his measurement, and watch his twerpy little sister to be sure she doesn't fall off the edge. We clambered up a rock slide and reached the top and just in front of us was a brown bear. He was bigger than me but smaller than my brother, so clearly not full-grown. We all stared across the species barrier for a minute and then Del picked me up and RAN full-tilt down the mountain. I could hear the bear crashing away the other direction behind us. When we reached the bottom, Dad yelled at us for leaving the stick up there.

3. I didn’t learn to read until I was seven. My sister Jean worked and worked with me, but I just didn't get it. She and I are both librarians now, which is a credit to her stick-to-itiveness (and, I guess, mine). Kindergarten and part of First Grade were rough.

No comments: