Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Tidying up

Mood: Tired but ok, amused and grossed-out
Hair: don't ask

It's definitely time to go home. Eight-plus hours is enough time here. I've organized everything so that Thursday morning I should be able to come in, sit down and start plowing through my cart: gifts, backpacks, original cataloging (the dreaded Bottom Shelf), and weird authority issues. And I need to clarify whether I am actually signed up and paid for the OCLC workshop in two (three?) weeks.

Just after the director went off to a meeting, we had a visit from an administrator at one of the middle schools in town. He just wanted to make us aware of a little fact that some of the kids at that school have apparently "discovered" that our basement is a great place for them to explore the great world of 0r@l s#x.

So we have stepped up patrols for the day/evening shifts, and talked to our tech guy(and wasn't that embarrassing! Poor guy) to see if he's noticed any kids wandering around back by the computer room. He did say he had yelled at a few kids who followed him back there....

Since we aren't sure how the director will handle it, we don't want to start wholesale panic, which will occur if Some People are told. So the two of us who are in on "the secret" are wavering between annoyance, hilarity, and "EEEUW." However, since my son will be in middle school next year, I think we need to have yet another Talk. The girl who narced to the administrator is in 6th grade; that's 12 for those of you trying figure the age group.

The things that happen in libraries. People are always amazed. Heck, I'm frequently amazed!

It's also a beautiful spring day outside. Not only do we have tulilps coming up in our garden, but also hyacinth and crocus. I think we'll toss the baseball around for awhile before dinner.

See why I want to go home?

No comments: